Restaurants: Best Bang For Your Buck


I love to eat out! I am a self proclaimed foodie, I worked for many years in the food and beverage industry, and I love a good meal. I’ve always had a good appetite, my husband can pack it away, and we’ve been given three children with enormous appetites. Someone help me. I cringe at the thought of our grocery bill when the kids become teenagers- I’ll need to take a job at Costco just for the discount!

We don’t go out for dinner a lot with the kids, as it can be quite pricey for a family of five, but the odd time we like to celebrate a special occasion or treat the kids during holidays. When we do, we look for a place with good prices, a variety of food options, and a nice atmosphere. One of our children’s favourite places to dine out is Moose Winooski’s. My husband and I have fond memories of hanging out there after a baseball tournament when we were dating, and the food is quite good for causal fare. The portion sizes are really generous, and it’s a very fun atmosphere with great cabin decor. Our favourite time to go is with cousins on Good Friday for all you can eat fish & chips- it’s become an annual tradition for our families.

When we’re looking for more of a date night venue, my husband and I like to try local independent restaurants. One of our favourites is Crazy Fox, on Bayfield Street in Barrie. The food is absolutely delicious, the portions are good, and they have a nice wine list to choose from. The restaurant has a cozy feel, and the service has always been impeccable. This is not a “cheap” meal, but for the quality of the experience it is definitely a deal!

Another spot we recently discovered and quite liked, is State & Main. This is a franchise, which I normally shy away from, but we were pleasantly surprised with the dinner we had before hitting the movie theatre (it’s conveniently located in the same plaza as the new Cineplex at Cundles Road). Depending on when you go, there are some specials, and we happened to be there during happy hour, which meant there were discounted drinks and food items. I ordered a delicious cocktail that was only around $4! We really enjoyed the entrees we ordered, and both were huge. The restaurant has an urban industrial feel to it, and the service we received was really good (the server went so far as offering me a sample of the two daily soup choices when I inquired about them).

We are fortunate to live in an area with many choices for wonderful meals. With so many options, it’s hard to narrow down where to go first, but these are some of the places my family has enjoyed in the past, and will continue to frequent whether it’s for a family dinner out or an intimate date for two. Where do you like to eat out?

B.

Comments

Popular Posts