The Mirror and Drape

Have you ever heard of The Mirror and the Drape Design?  Let me introduce you to Michelle Berwick; the owner and operator of this Design company.  Michelle, is a wonderful person and I want you to get to know her and her company more.  When asked a few questions, Michelle was able to provide us with some very in depth answers to help you as our clients.  Happy reading!  


Tell us about yourself, your company and services.
Hi there, my name is Michelle Berwick and my company is called The Mirror and the Drape Design. Here's the link to my site www.themirrorandthedrape.com. We do anything from colour consultations, to e-designs, to full service interior decorating. Decorating has been my passion and my love since I was a kid. When my friends were asking for clothes for their birthdays I would ask for bedding, drapes, and new paint etc. I actually started my career working in the car industry in finance for 10 years.  I had two children during that time and the hours were really not conducive for a young family. I had been doing interior design on the side for a while but decided to go full steam ahead and open up my own business where I could make my own hours and live my dream of making beautiful spaces for people. 


1. What are the hot colours for Fall home design and what are the fool-proof ways to implement them in our own homes?
Pantone usually makes their "colour of the year" and that sets the trend. They haven't named that yet, but last year was Marsala, a rich wine tone and I'm seeing that pop up again in the stores. I'm also seeing a lot of navy and metals. Brass and chrome are huge. If colour frightens you, I'd start with a few toss cushions and throws. For people with an edgier side, why not paint your ceiling in one of those shades? A huge statement. 

2. What do you feel is the most important design aspect buyers should consider when looking for the perfect home?
Don't get stuck on the owners’ style and furniture. That will all go when you move in. Paint goes a long way! Layout is huge. If you feel the home flows and maximizes the space by using a great layout, go for it. Paint, fabrics, and furniture are easy fixes afterwards.  

3. What is your favourite room in your home and why?
I would say my family room. It's where we spend most of our time and it's very cozy. I think people get overwhelmed when they move into a new home with the amount of things they want to change or improve. Make a list. That's what I did. The items were implemented one by one over a four year timeframe. Most people can't afford to do everything at once- do divide and conquer. That way you don't have several half finished spaces. My family room was one of the first things we tackled. Floor to ceiling built-ins were put in and painted a soft cream. I wrapped the rest of the walls in a luxurious grass cloth to add texture and warmth. Nothing is too fancy or precious. It's a room where kids can play and dogs can lay. 



4. What is the easiest style fix for under $100 that can instantly freshen a room?
Paint, paint and paint, it literally transforms a space and you can get a can for about half that. Think of unexpected places to put the paint, like the inside of your front door or your trim.  

5. Which room do you feel is the best investment when renovating a house?
Kitchens and bathrooms are where you will get the most return for your money but sadly they are also the most expensive rooms to renovate.  If you’re trying to clean your house up for sale, paint your walls a fresh neutral shade and switch out any old fabrics like toss cushions and throws. 

6. Where can homeowners look for inspiration when planning to redecorate?
I always start with a jumping off point. Usually I find that in a fabric, wallpaper, or artwork. Find something you love and work with the colour pallet within it. If it's a patterned fabric for example, use that on the drapes. Grab some paint chips and pull a colour from the neutral tones within it. Get some toss cushions with the punchier colours in the fabric. Is that fabric warm or cool? If warm, mix with gold and brass fixtures. If cool, then go with brushed chrome.  

7. What are your favourite stores to hit up for home styles for a steal?
I live and breathe HomeSense!!!! They hands down have the best deals on the planet and new stuff every single time you shop there. I've also been using online sites a lot lately, like Wayfair and Joss and Main. Even with shipping and duty, it's still way cheaper and they have some really stylish stuff. 

8. What easy design fixes do you suggest before listing a home, to garner a higher sale price?
De-Clutter!!! People can't see your space if there is too much stuff in there. Also, move your furniture around, changing the furniture layout and removing any piece that's not functional or you don't believe to be beautiful. It makes the space appear larger and people don't have to think too hard when trying to figure out how they would live in the space.  

9. What are your favourite tips for sellers looking to stage their home?
Clean up your gardens and de-clutter the outdoors. Put two large black planters out front with a bold coloured flower in them, simple and easy. 
If it's in your budget, please paint the walls a neutral easy color, at least in the main living spaces. Try Benjamin Moore’s Collingwood for the main walls. It looks good in every home, and is pleasing to those who are traditional or urban. 
New area rugs and drapes go a long way, too. Just make sure to hang them floor to ceiling. It makes your ceilings look taller and your windows larger. I've included a diagram for windows that my clients usually find helpful. 




Thanks Michelle, for all of the fabulous tips and sharing your gorgeous design photos with us!

For more information about Michelle and The Mirror and the Drape Design, visit her at any of the following avenues, that have been linked below:

Website
Blog
FaceBook
Pinterest
Direct Contact

Comments

Popular Posts