Grow Your Own...

GROW YOUR OWN

Hello community!  As Canadians we have to endure a long hard winter with imported fruits & vegetables that are pretty pricey and sometimes tasteless.  So when hints of Spring start appearing I start dreaming about fresh local corn and strawberries picked fresh from the field.  I am pretty sure that I am not alone on that. 

I don’t have much of a green thumb but I like the idea of growing my own fruits & vegetables.  I usually leave it too late and default to the ready nursed tomato plant from one of the garden centres.  At the very least my children see where they come from and are more likely to eat them if they can pick them on their own account.  Will they think that all tomatoes grow from a pot?  Probably.  There’s plenty of time to convince them otherwise.

So you want to attempt growing your own produce and haven’t done this before.  When do you start?  Start now.  There are a few plants that you can start growing from seed indoors in March (see chart).  Think how clever you will feel to nurse an edible plant from seed! 

Where will you put your garden?  Think about a dead space in your yard that doesn’t have very much traffic.  Does it get 6-8 hours of sunlight?  This is probably a perfect spot for a DIY garden and it doesn’t have to be big.  We are not all blessed with large yards and even if you are it may be wise to start small and expand once you gain more expertise.  There is more information below through a link I found online.  There is a lot of information out there to help you whatever level of experience you may have.  Better yet, visit your local garden centre for advice from the experts in person!


Yours truly,


Natalie B.

Comments

Popular Posts